Thursday, January 7, 2010

Hi, I'm Amy.

Hello new friends! I have totally enjoyed all the introductions so far, so I thought I'd add mine.
I live in American Fork, Utah with my husband, two daughters (11 & 8) and two boys (5 & 3). I started playing with quilting when my mom taught me as a teenager, but was always totally embarrassed if anyone ever found out. It wasn't until after had had my first baby 11 years ago (today!) and became a SAHM that I really started quilting in earnest. And it soon became my sanity saver and creative outlet. As much as I love being a mom and being with my kids (because they are hilarious -most of the time) it's helpful to have one thing that stays done and is totally within my control.
I've always loved old, scrappy, traditional quilts (think pioneer, Civil War and Depression-era) but in the past two years I have become totally enamored with modern quilts as well. I'm itching to make more along those lines.
I have also loved getting into the quilt-blogging world. Even as a 'grown-up' I was always a little sheepish to tell people that I am a quilter because it sounded like such an 'old-lady' thing to do. Finding other young women who understand the creative joy that comes from collecting fabric, cutting it into small pieces, and sewing it back together has been awesome.

Many thanks again to Julie and Audrie for putting this group together!

5 comments:

  1. I love your work, Amy! The hexagon one is so cute.

    It's fun to have a "veteran" quilter in the group. I'd love to see some of your Civil War era quilts if you want to do an introduction, part two.

    Thanks for making me such beautiful blocks! I was so surprised to see a package in my mailbox so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you, Amy! I love your snippets quilt, that's such great fabric and you did a great job with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do such beautiful, intricate work Amy!

    I know what you mean about quilting being thought of as an old lady thing... when I tell people I'm a quilter they look at me like I fast forwarded into old age lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your hexagon quilt, so gorgeous! I also struggle with telling people I quilt, knit or crochet... they all come off as something a woman in a rocking chair would be doing. Love your work, looking forward to seeing more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday to your daughter. Your work is so beautiful. I know very few people my age who quilt. It has been wonderful to meet people in blogland. I am just discovering the joys of modern fabric.

    ReplyDelete