Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Hi, I'm Vicki

Hi everyone! I wanted to tell you a little about myself and show you my idea for when it's my turn later on in the year.

I live with my family in the suburbs of Kansas City. We've been here for 6.5 years; my husband and I both grew up in Utah though and that's where most of our extended family lives. My two boys are 9.5 and 5.5 years old and I have a little girl who's 14 months old. I've been sewing since I was about 6, made my first quilt with my grandma when I was 13, and started quilting "for real" the year I got married, 1997. I've made baby quilts for all my neices and nephews who were born into the family as well as my own kids--oh wait there is one new baby boy that I haven't made a quilt for yet, but I am going to do that really soon! I've made several other quilts too and currently have 3 UFOs that I really want to finish before I start on a Jane Stickle quilt later on this year.

So I was browsing photos in the DQS8 flickr pool the other day and saw something that gave me an idea:


At first I was thinking one-inch squares but decided that would be way too crazy. This block has 36, 1 1/2" squares and has a 1 1/2 white border, and ends up at 12.5" square. It will be a lot of small square cutting, but I'm hoping to have each of you make a block like this for me when we get to September. I'm thinking about making sashing strips out of more 1.5" squares, and then a sort-of wide white border around all the quilt blocks with one more border of the 1.5" squares. Does that make sense? Would you hate me if I asked you to make me a block like this?

9 comments:

  1. Hi Vicki!
    I love this idea and would be up for making all those little squares. Nice to meet you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah, I will be cutting the squares... don't know if that was clear in the original post ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Have you seen Oh Fransson's tutorial? Looks kind of like what you want - thought you would be interested. http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=1398

    Thanks for introducing yourself! I'll have to get on my little blurb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I would not hate you at all. It looks like a great block. It will be great getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela, I'd forgotten about that, it would be a good way to make this block! I just pieced the squares into 4 patches and then put it together from there... it didn't take too long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vicki! Woo - another Utahn! I love your idea for your quilt. It sounds fantastic. I would feel privileged to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hate you? Never! I love this block, it's totally cute! I like the idea of the extra border around the block too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to hear more about you Vicki!

    I love the idea of this block and think that it will look fantastic as a quilt of blocks like these. I saw a "postage stamp" quilt at a quilt show last year and the entire quilt was made up of 5000 one inch squares...it was insane (and all the points matched up!)

    ReplyDelete