Monday, January 11, 2010

Hi, I'm Michelle




and this is my story. I have been quilting on and off for 17 years. I first became interested in quilting when I was 16. I babysat for a woman who was taking a beginner's quilting class and I can remember her making snowball blocks. I was already crocheting, knitting and cross-stitching but I did not start quilting then. Five years later, I visited my cousin in Southern Ontario who lives near a Mennoite community well known for their quilting. I was in awe and decided to take a course. My very first course was hand applique and I made hearts. I enjoyed it but had made the decision to go back to school, so quilting was put on the back burner. After I graduated and got a full -time job I decided to try quilting again. I took a beginner's course at a high school. I did not have a sewing machine at the time so everything was hand stitched. I really enjoyed the class but realized that hand stitching was not for me. I ended up going back to school again, while staying at my job in a part-time position. Finally, in 1999 I got a sewing machine for my birthday. I quilted for a few years making baby quilts for my nieces and nephews and wall hangings.






With the birth of my son in 2003 and my daughter a 1 1/2 later I had to make a decision about whether I was going to continue quilting. I took a refresher course in 2005 at a local quilt store and decided that my family and quilting were both my passions and I could not give either up. Since that time I have moved back to my hometown, where I have more hours to quilt. I do work full-time so I fit in bits and pieces of sewing here and there. I have a quilting room which makes things much easier. I really enjoy making quilts for others, using what I know about them to try to figure out what they would like in a quilt. I have been blogging since last March and a whole new world has been opened up to me. We do not have the same selection of fabric here in Canada, and I feel that blogging has provided me with an oasis. I do not yet know where I am going with my quilting but I do know it has been because of the support of incredible women like you, that I will go even farther than I imagined.




8 comments:

  1. Wow - that's quite a journey! Kind of like one of those soul-mate movies where they keep bumping into each other over many years before getting together. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing.. i had no idea about most of that.. but i'm glad quilting stuck with you... & that you & i have become blog buddies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle, I'm glad to meet you and learn a bit about your quilting life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle! I love that quilting's been in your life for such a long time... glad you've decided to stick with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading your quilting story Michelle. And I'm looking forward to getting to know you more this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Michelle! I love your story thus far. And I love your quilts! That zig-zag is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading more about you Michelle. I would love to visit Amish or Mennonite quilters someday to learn some tricks of the trade.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Untuk kamu pecinta Bola, Ada kabar gembira untuk kamu :)
    Bolavita Bandar Taruhan Bola / Sbobet / Maxbet / 368BET , sebagai Agen Taruhan Online Indonesia kini memberikan inovasi-inovasi baru dan memberikan pelayanan yang sangat extra untuk kamu yang kurang mengerti bagaimana cara pasang taruhan bola secara Online !!
    Bolavita sebagai Agen Taruhan Online akan membantu kamu dalam hal ini, Jenis Pasaran yang di sediakan Oleh Bandar Bolavita ini juga Lengkap, Mulai Dari Liga besar hingga Liga Kecil, Di Jamin Data Kalian Aman ! Karena Bolavita sudah berdiri sangat lama, Aman dan bisa di percaya..
    Untuk pendaftaran bisa Hubungi contact di bawah ini :
    Bandar Taruhan Bola / Sbobet / Maxbet / 368BET <<< KLIK DISINI
    BBM: D1A1E6DF / D8DB1C57 / BOLAVITA
    WeChat: BOLAVITA
    WA: +6281377055002

    #Agenbola #BandarBola #AgenTaruhanBola #Sbobet #Maxbet #368Bet

    ReplyDelete