Monday, January 4, 2010

Hi, My Name Is Audrie

I thought I'd do a little introduction post about myself... I know I have a little tiny 'About Me' section on my blog, but that hardly cuts it, no? Hopefully you'll all join in and talk a little bit about yourself, about your quilting, and whatever else you feel like sharing :)

So I was born in Singapore, moved to Australia when I was 17 to study, and kind of forgot to leave. I did move back to Singapore for about 4 years to work and be with my family, then back to Australia. And after I moved back to Australia in 2005, I got this crazy idea to go visit a friend in the States, which is when I met my husband. I moved to CT in 2007, we got married, bought a house and adopted two cats.

I took up quilting by sheer accident. Last May for some reason I thought to make my MIL a quilted table runner. I did my research, went to the fabric store and got what I needed, made a table runner. Which led to baby quilts. Which led to 56 finished projects (40 of which were baby and large quilts) in 8 months. Yeah, I know. All I can say is, I'm glad I found something that I really love to do.

As for sources of inspiration, I'd say they are mainly Denyse Schmidt's and Suzuko Koseki's work. I love modern quilting, and I love discovering new colour combinations. And let's not forget all the amazing quilting blogs out there.

I don't know any quilters outside of the virtual realm (although I have a friend who's toying with the idea) so I'm glad to have my blog and this bee to share my quilting with. I may be new to it but I honestly can't remember life without quilting now. I know many of you can attest to that :)

Anyway I urge you to talk a little about yourselves here... I hope if we get to know each other better, we'll work together better too! I'm so excited that our bee has started, and I can't wait to see all the quilts we'll make together!!

- Audrie

P/S: Rebekah, I received your fabric today and I'm SO excited to begin your block!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I still can't believe that you've only been quilting for less than a year! You are so accomplished already!

    How did you go about getting started selling your quilts for commission? I'd love to get into that this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe thanks! Any bit of sewing talent I have, I attribute to my paternal grandma who was a seamstress. Not that she taught me to sew... I just think it's in my blood hehe Just like my love of cooking. It's all her :)

    I'm very lucky to have supportive people who promote my work for me, so my commissioned quilts have primarily been through word-of-mouth. A few of them have been through Etsy though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 56 projects in 8 months.. seriously you are like a machine!! a really talented well oiled one! thanks for sharing your story.. i'll post more about me soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I never would've guessed you've only been quilting since May! Very impressive!!! This is such a great idea to get to know everyone, I'll have to write something about myself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so fun to learn more about all my online quilt buddies. We both caught the quilt bug in 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Audrie, I had no idea you've only been quilting since May! Holy smokes, you're on fire girl. I love your style and you do it so well too. I'm excited to be a part of this group.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun to read about you :). I had no idea you just started quilting in May. You are awesome! I love the quilts you make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you are definitely so talented! It is fun to love what you do.

    ReplyDelete